Skip to main content

5 years and still counting...the longest stable relationship of mine!!!

One evening, back in 2012, I unwillingly walked into this coffee show. Little did I know that I would meet my one true love there.

I had just attended my first Mozilla event at college. I was pretty impressed by the Web Maker tool. During a casual conversation with one of the organizers, who also was my college senior, he invited me over to a MozCafe meeting happening that weekend. Well, I am not much of a nerd...well, atleast was not back then. The idea of spending a Sunday evening at a coffee shop, among a bunch of geeks didn't really excite me. Due to the lack of a better Sunday plan, I ended up going down there anyway.

At a regular Coffee Day, you can find different types of people....those who are out on coffee dates, those who are catching up with friends and colleagues, those who are out for official meetings etc. But, that evening I found another group of weirdos....the ones who were super charged up and super enthusiastic about something I wasn't yet able to understand! They were throwing all these jargon and terms around the table which were making absolutely no sense to me - NIMO, L10N, SUMO....I don't know what else! OMG! Are these people complete nuts? What are they so excited about? Why are they doing all these work for a company which doesn't even pay them? I didn't understand much of that evening's conversation for sure but I guess I had caught a little of that enthusiasm virus. What was the deal about this non-profit, open source organization called Mozilla? I started doing some research. My curiosity brought me to the next meeting...this time a virtual one. These members of this weird but not-so-secret cult were planning for some big event called the Mozilla Carnival. Somehow, it so happened, that I was the only female attendee at that meeting. They needed a female speaker to cover something called "WoMoz" at this event. I was hesitant but I agreed. I had sufficient time to do my research and I kind of liked public speaking.

The damage was done! I had already got involved! I started doing my research on WoMoz, joining their IRC channel, following their wiki, joining a lot other Mozilla channels and before I knew...I was one of them! By the time I completed by first Mozilla event as a speaker, I was already addicted to it. This drug had totally captivated me.

Five years since then and I didn't even notice it until I sat back to write this post. When someone asks me, its tough to answer why I stuck around for so long or what do I love most about the Mozilla community. But today, I know the energy that I had felt sitting across the table in that Coffee Day...its called passion! Its not free Tshirts, its not free stickers...the driving force here is very different. Its the ideology of open web, its the basic privacy rights that we are fighting for, its the principle of web literacy for all and most importantly its the PEOPLE that form this community...I am in love with all of these! Every time I feel I have contributed enough and its time to stop, I meet someone new in the community...someone with fresh ideas and energy and I get energized again towards that one next task!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quarantining Alone - A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity

This Covid-19 virus has turned the entire world upside down. It has broken a lot of older habits and set a lot of new normals. Towards the early days of this lockdown, I had written a blog - An Extrovert in Isolation . The early lockdown days were extremely difficult for me. That was the phase of breaking old habits. An extrovert by nature, couldn't accept the sudden change of being locked alone inside my house. I am writing this blog again after being locked at home for more than 100 days now. Most of the older habits are broken by now. A few new habits have become a part of my new normal. What seemed to have been painful 100 days back has now turned to be blissful. Here, I am sharing my story of how quarantining alone has ended up being the greatest opportunity and a huge transformation in my life.  I have been struggling for years to fix my sleep patterns. Going to bed late and waking up late had been a habit for a really long time. My struggles to change this habit had

RASCI model - the responsibility assignment matrix

In the last few days, both at my workplace as well as while dealing with a few activities around me, I have realized the importance of implementing a better responsibility assignment matrix, to get things done in a less messed up way. A few months back, during some random conversation, a friend of mine had introduced me to the RASCI model, one of the responsibility assignment matrices. Wikipedia says that the responsibility assignment matrix 'describes the participation by various roles in completing tasks or deliverables for a project or business process.'  In simple words, for any project, if we can divide each person's role and responsibility, it not only ensures a better end product, but also saves the time, otherwise lost in discussions (which organizations like to call as meetings). A RASCI implementation ensures that each person is responsible for only and only the task assigned to him (or her) and will not need to interfere with another person's task, un

The stranger in Pain

I have just returned from Malaysia today. After a 3 months stay in Singapore, I could finally make it to Malaysia, Kuala Lampur. Just a small 3 days trip with my friends. On the second day of our trip, we had decided to visit the Genting Highlands. Early morning we started off for the adventurous trip, only three of us- Sree Lakshmi(my room mate in Singapore), Nishita(my co-scholar from SCMS-UG) and me. We boarded our bus to Genting. Sree and Nishi sat together and I sat alone, taking a window seat. After a while, an elderly uncle, Indian looking, of about the age of 60+, occupied the vacant seat next to mine.  He initiated the conversation by asking me which country I am from. After I answered that I was from India, he said he was from Sri Lanka. My thinking of him being an Indian was proven wrong. He was a very friendly man. After the initial ice breaking, we started speaking about ourselves and our lives. He told that he had finished conquering the entire globe with just some 4 co