Skip to main content

My Sunday Spent with Real Angels

There are those rare days in life, when you come home with a guilt in your heart...the guilt of having so much in life, but still not being content whereas, there are so many people out there, with so little and yet so happy! The last Sunday was one of those days for me.

While driving down to Sarthak Seva Sangh, little did I know of what I was about to experience there. Sarthak Seva Sangh Orphanage is an initiative started by Dr. Anil Kudia to help make a difference to the lives of unfortunate street children. Some of these children are motherless and orphans and some are newborn babies who are absolutely directionless.The place currently hosts around 60 children. As a part of Mozilla's and Mile's initiative, we were to go there and teach basics of computer and internet to the kids.

When we reached there, we were welcomed by the manager of the place (sorry for not remembering his name). He took us around the entire place, showing us the current infrastructure as well as explaining us all the future plans they have for Sarthak. A new building is under construction and once thats done, Sarthak can host around 200 children under its roof. From libraries to counseling rooms, from guest rooms to computer labs, their new building is going to have them all. This will definitely be way more than just a shelter for street kids....its going to be filled with all the facilities required to turn these kids into awesome human beings of tomorrow's world.

The new Sarthak building...under construction
After the quick tour, we started interacting with the kids. I was amazed when every kid introduced himself (or herself) in English...proper, correct English. We then started talking about computers. Again, it was not very surprising this time that almost all the kids knew what computers were. A few even knew to work on a computer...doing simple things like creating spreadsheets or writing documents or even painting. Next we tried explaining them what the internet is. What all things we can do on the internet and why it is such an important resource for us today. We even got two laptops out and made them do simple things like type their names on a document or do some simple painting on gimp.



These kids had so much life...so much enthusiasm...so much energy. They laughed out loud...ran across the building...played with all of us...enjoyed the treat of chocolate...as if they lacked nothing in life. Some had horrible pasts, some didn't have a family at all...but none of these could reduce the sparkle in each tiny eyes. Each of them had a dream, a dream to be a someone when they grew up. Some wanted to be a doctor, some a cricketer, some a boxer and some an engineer...but they all had dreams.




We laughed with them...we played with them...we taught them...we learnt from them...we ate with them...they brought back the kids in us and made us all relive our childhood.



Kudos to the people who put in so much effort in running the place, in taking such great care of these children. Dr. Anil is to be respected for all of these work, but one of his thought that totally shook me was when he pointed out that there was not a single religious items anywhere in the entire premise. He didn't want to give these children a religion. He wanted to create human beings. And the day these children got mature enough to judge for themselves, they could decide whether they would want to go to a temple, a church, a mosque or a gurudwara!


That evening, when I got back home, I was happy and sad at the same time. I was happy to have spent an awesome day. I was sad and guilty that I had so much in life...probably everything I could want from life and yet I had so many complaints against life...so much to be upset about. These children had so little but had no complaints at all.That day, these kids taught an important lesson of life....to LIVE!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quarantining Alone - A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity

This Covid-19 virus has turned the entire world upside down. It has broken a lot of older habits and set a lot of new normals. Towards the early days of this lockdown, I had written a blog - An Extrovert in Isolation . The early lockdown days were extremely difficult for me. That was the phase of breaking old habits. An extrovert by nature, couldn't accept the sudden change of being locked alone inside my house. I am writing this blog again after being locked at home for more than 100 days now. Most of the older habits are broken by now. A few new habits have become a part of my new normal. What seemed to have been painful 100 days back has now turned to be blissful. Here, I am sharing my story of how quarantining alone has ended up being the greatest opportunity and a huge transformation in my life.  I have been struggling for years to fix my sleep patterns. Going to bed late and waking up late had been a habit for a really long time. My struggles to change this habit had

RASCI model - the responsibility assignment matrix

In the last few days, both at my workplace as well as while dealing with a few activities around me, I have realized the importance of implementing a better responsibility assignment matrix, to get things done in a less messed up way. A few months back, during some random conversation, a friend of mine had introduced me to the RASCI model, one of the responsibility assignment matrices. Wikipedia says that the responsibility assignment matrix 'describes the participation by various roles in completing tasks or deliverables for a project or business process.'  In simple words, for any project, if we can divide each person's role and responsibility, it not only ensures a better end product, but also saves the time, otherwise lost in discussions (which organizations like to call as meetings). A RASCI implementation ensures that each person is responsible for only and only the task assigned to him (or her) and will not need to interfere with another person's task, un

The stranger in Pain

I have just returned from Malaysia today. After a 3 months stay in Singapore, I could finally make it to Malaysia, Kuala Lampur. Just a small 3 days trip with my friends. On the second day of our trip, we had decided to visit the Genting Highlands. Early morning we started off for the adventurous trip, only three of us- Sree Lakshmi(my room mate in Singapore), Nishita(my co-scholar from SCMS-UG) and me. We boarded our bus to Genting. Sree and Nishi sat together and I sat alone, taking a window seat. After a while, an elderly uncle, Indian looking, of about the age of 60+, occupied the vacant seat next to mine.  He initiated the conversation by asking me which country I am from. After I answered that I was from India, he said he was from Sri Lanka. My thinking of him being an Indian was proven wrong. He was a very friendly man. After the initial ice breaking, we started speaking about ourselves and our lives. He told that he had finished conquering the entire globe with just some 4 co